- To make kimchi butter, whiz butter, kimchi and kimchi juice in a food processor until combined. Place on a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a sausage shape, then wrap up tightly and chill until firm.
- To make cucumber pickle, combine sugar, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons water in a pan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cool.
- Add cucumber, chilli and red onion, transfer to an airtight container, then chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat a hooded barbecue to medium-low. Spread rice, wood dust and tea leaves over a large foil tray, then place an oven rack over the top. Heat tray on the barbecue, with hood down, for 3 minutes or until starting to smoke. Rub salmon all over with oil, then place, skin-side down, on the flat plate.
- Cook, with hood down, for 2 minutes or until skin is crisp, then transfer to the rack and smoke for 10-12 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve topped with slices of kimchi butter, cucumber pickle and micro basil.