Creamy Parmesan Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Cosy up this winter with a rich, cheesy and creamy vegetable bake! We have an abundance of brussels sprouts in the garden at the moment, and the family love to eat them covered in a cheesy parmesan sauce and topped with bacon.
It is an indulgence, but the cooler weather calls for comfort food and this recipe is so easy to follow, it’s become a firm family favourite. You can certainly swap the brussels sprouts with any vegetables you have on hand, such as asparagus, beans, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower or a mixture of veg.
This dish pairs perfectly with roast beef and a glass of Holm Oak 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon.
1 tbsp olive oil
150g bacon, diced
1 tbsp butter
500g brussels sprouts, washed, (trim bottoms and cut sprouts in half)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
200 ml thickened cream
1/3 cup grated mozzarella
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Heat a medium-sized ovenproof dish over medium heat. Add olive oil and fry the bacon until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt. Add the brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and cook while stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes. The edges should start to crisp.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for one minute, or until fragrant. Pour in the cream, reduce heat to low and allow them to simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Add the bacon and then top the sprouts with the cheeses. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and sprouts are done to your liking.
- Season with pepper before serving.
Image Source: Pinterest