Image Credit: NewsLifeMedia
What could be a better match than white wine and seared scallops? It screams of a party on a plate! The Holm Oak team are huge fans of local Tasmanian scallops, which pair perfectly with some of our wines. So, when we came across this Ben O’Donoghue recipe from delicious magazine, we couldn’t help but want to share it with our members. Enjoy this simple-to-make recipe for seared scallops with crème fraîche and wasabi crunch. It’s guaranteed to please any seafood lover, and a great excuse to enjoy a glass of white wine to match!
- 1/4 cup (60g) crème fraîche
- 1 tbs finely chopped chives
- 1 tbs finely chopped dill
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbs peanut or sunflower oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 tbs tamari
- 20 scallops, roe removed
- 1/4 cup (25g) wasabi peas, lightly crushed
- Micro herbs, to serve
- Combine crème fraîche, chives, dill, zest and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Season and set aside.
- Whisk oil and tamari together in a small bowl. Set aside. Heat a frypan over high heat. Brush scallops with oil and season. In batches, cook scallops for 30 seconds each side or until golden but translucent in the centre.
- To serve, dollop crème fraîche mixture onto serving plates and arrange scallops on top. Drizzle with tamari dressing, then scatter with wasabi peas and micro herbs.
FOOD AND WINE PAIRING
When you’re looking for the best wines with scallops, white wines are often the go-to selection. This delicious dish pairs nicely with some of Holm Oak’s spring white wine releases, including our 2021 Riesling and 2021 Pinot Gris. Drier riesling styles make a good match with simple fish dishes like this one. The complexity of our new-vintage pinot gris likewise teams nicely with the scallops’ creamy sauce.
Browse our selection of white wines.